Music Banter - View Single Post - Best Comedy Songs - Come laugh your butt off with us!
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 05:58 PM   #22 (permalink)
slappyjenkins
Music Addict

Oh hell yeah man, Tenacious D is cool, I just didn't want to flood the thread yet. Wanted to see if others would post. That was some classic Tenacious D! Very funny!

Vegangelica - I really appreciate your views on humor. And I am in complete agreement. I do also feel that, for me at least, comedy is a bridge between hating someone and loving someone. We can see a racists on the sidewalk say something very bad like 'Look at that N*** over there." And we realize that person is speaking from a place of pure hate. You can't love that person, you can't connect with that person, unless you are yourself are a racists and full of hate. But when you see a comedian making fun of people you get the feeling that person is speaking from a place of love and understanding and ACCEPTANCE. And that leads to a place of happiness and love. We all feel accepted for our race, creed, beliefs, and faults, ESPECIALLY if said comedian thinks enough of us to include us in their jokes. We see asians making fun of blacks and whites, and blacks making fun of whites and indians, (oh yeah whites are only allowed to make fun of other whites), and we laugh because it is the ultimate form of acceptance.

I am of mixed heritage and when I see a black guy making fun of asians I laugh my ass off because I realize I could be that guy's best friend in real life. (My mother is flip and my dad is white)The comedian accepts my stereotyped faults so much that the doors to acceptance are open. Whenever I overhear someone in a restaurant say 'Oh look at this ***** over here.' Well I know the only possibility we have is hostility, be it verbally or physically. I feel that true sting of racism and ignorance and intolerance.

Comedy breaks those barriers in the most healthy way I have ever seen. We are allowed to voice our non-PC thoughts and instead of killing each other we're laughing together and partying together and forming a connection where there was none before. I love comedy, and I love what it can accomplish.

I do agree with 'laughing at' versus 'laughing with', but you have other forms of comedy such as slapstick or situational comedy and I believe that is just another form of acceptance. When we laugh so hard because someone took a prat-fall in such an obvious way, its our way of saying 'I see your comedy and I accept it and you, that was funny as hell.'

Then you also have self-depricating humor that actually tricks you into transposing the humor onto yourself and you wind up laughing at something the joke reminds you that you did or experienced.

One of those most memorable to me was Margaret Cho talking about going on some weird diet that made her **** her pants in traffic. The audience burst out laughing and so did I because its hard to admit yeah I got drunk or I ate some nasty ruined food, and I couldn't make it to the toilet and I am an adult and I **** mysef!...I'm not saying ME....it was a friend...a friend....and they didn't tell me it had peppers in it, and it messed with my...his stomach really bad.....but comedy allows that outlet.

Anyway the reason I started the thread is there is a ton of COMEDIC songs out there. Their only purpose is to be funny, and often these songs do well on the charts. So I thought it would be fun to share.
slappyjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote