Music Banter - View Single Post - Best Song No One Knows About - List your favorite obscure gem here!
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 03:18 PM   #39 (permalink)
variationVlad
Groupie

Mine is less of an obscure song, than an obscure live version.
I played this for my dad, who is a massive Elvis fan and he had never heard it. It blew him away, and it continues to blow me away every time i hear it.
Let me tell you the something about the version.
It is from a concert on New Years eve 1976, 8 months before Elvis' death. He was in terrible health at this stage with colon failure and morbid obesity. This was at the end of a long set, at the end of an extremely hard tour. He is playing Piano while directing the band and delivering the most mind blowing, operatic vocals i have ever heard. The whole thing is recorded by a fan on tape recorder.
Yeah he may drop a few notes here or there or fluff up the words a little, but it just adds to the splendor and soul of the piece.
Elvis Presley : Rags to Ritches 1976

Other than that, some lesser known songs i love are 'if you see me' by the black keys, 'I feel like goin' home' by Muddy Waters, 'Santa Claus is back in town by Elvis Presley

If the link to the video doesn't work, i implore you to look up the song on youtube. search Rags to Ritches 31 december 1976. Even if you don't like Elvis, please listen to it.
variationVlad is offline   Reply With Quote