Music Banter - View Single Post - God is in your mind?
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 02:43 AM   #668 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekn4 View Post
This thread is getting boring we all better get our wills in order

Just an observation, I was browsing threads and I saw janszoon speaking of the biology of a plant cell, could janszoon and tore be the same person? Or are you both biologists?

If anyone has checked out any of the things I posted namely Zacharia Sitchen, who has what I believe is the best theory about how our species came about on this earth, go to you tube, there are many interviews, I have my own theory to back up his claim, it is called the "Ass wipe theory" but it won't make sense until you check out what he is saying, but this kind of backs up what he is saying, and it goes like this....we are the only species on this planet that needs to wipe our ass, every other species ****s clean, which kind of makes you wonder if his theory is correct.
The idea that humans are the only animals that harm the environment is a myth. It's not like other species have a magical harmonious connection with nature that we don't. They're selfish bastards like us. I guess it's just that when animals do it, we think of it as more natural and hence their destruction is part of nature, but when we do it, we see us as no longer a part of nature and so we are a destructive force coming from the outside.

A typical example of animals that could think a bit more about their environmental impact are f.ex lemmings who can graze away all vegetable matter across huge areas. They eat until there's nothing more to eat, then they start to move to other places where there's still food to support them.

Another more destructive example are geese, like the species of Snow Goose that sometimes winter in Hudson Bay. Geese have a foraging behaviour known as "grubbing" where they poke their beaks into the ground to get at the roots of plants like grasses. When they do this in the grassy salt-marshes in the Hudson Bay, the de-vegetation caused by the grubbing causes salt water to creep further up into the soil and so, once large areas have been de-vegetized by geese, they become too saline for plants to grow. So, these areas stay barren for decades. I believe there are no examples of such barren masses recovering so how long it would take for these environments to return to their pre-grubben state is anyone's guess.

Since the mid 70s, geese have laid barren more than 35 000 hectars (>35 000 000 m^2 if you prefer) of salt marshes.

These are just a couple of the rather more striking examples, but there are many more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekn4 View Post
I believe he explains that missing link in evolution and it makes the most sense to me in light of the technology we have today. Warning if you watch it your mind won't let you believe what you now believe. There are two strands of our DNA that have been fused together in a way that can only be done thru genetic engineering and 50 years ago that would have been regarded as nonsense but in light of what we know today his this gives amazing credibility to his research.
Well, strands of DNA can fuse together. It f.ex happens due to errors in cell replication - you know, when cells split into two. Before that happens, it has to create a copy of all it's DNA and each copy are then pulled apart from each other to opposite sides in the cell and then a cleft comes down the middle, splitting the cell into two. All sorts of weird stuff can happen then which has had huge implications for the evolutionary history of all life on earth today.

So I don't buy your laymans idea that anything that has happened with our DNA ever "required" genetic engineering from the outside. This guy likely has a very thin grasp of cell biology and evolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekn4
The ancient Egyptians knew that the planet's revolved around the sun and the world just figured that out and science just figured that in the last few hundred years so maybe we should take more stock in the futuristic realms of the days of old.
Also in cave drawings that are found all over the world have basically the same depiction, drawings of half man and half animal, which also supports Zacharia Sitchens research. How is it possible that every ancient culture had the same knowledge. Kinda makes you think doesn't it.
Maybe everything we want to know has already been figured out and if you took that knowledge on faith you would be light years infront of science as far as knowledge is concerned.
You're pretty vague. What are you trying to say? That the Egyptian pantheon was actually a master race of genetic engineers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekn4
One more argument that people of science have that I have heard that I have a problem with is that religion is the cause of most of the atrocities in this world, well the way I see it the same thing could be said about science, because of science we now can indiscriminately kill everyone in an entire city, and have on many occations, science has given us weapons that can possibility wipe life off this planet as we know it, science has given us nuclear, biological and chemical weapons, science has given us guns that can give one man the ability to kill massive amounts of people, so I think people should look at themselves before pointing the finger at anyone else, its all hypocrisy. And yes I'm not denying that science has brought many good things, but for people to point the finger at religion seems pretty hypocritical if you ask me, and believe me I am in no way religious. But if you ask me science is the most deadly religion out there." Those in the game are blind to what those looking on can see clearly"
Science opens up the possibilities, but it doesn't tell you to go kill someone. Religion or its followers (based on what the religion tells them) do that so I definitely think the two are different in that respect and that this difference is a pretty important distinction.