Music Banter - View Single Post - I take more comfort in atheism
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #75 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face View Post
Speaking of which, a tiger/lion hybrid mated with a lion and resulted in offspring recently. It can be pretty smudgy at times.

BBC News - Siberian zoo breeds the world's first Liliger
Yes, it is definitely smudgy. To complicate matters more, not all species are defined as species based on the idea of reproductive isolation. I actually think relatively few species are actually based on sexual isolation. After all, you can't really do extensive mating experiments with everything you come across. Instead, species were based on morphological differences. Nowadays, so many species are based on DNA comparisons.

When you get down to bacteria and the like who are capable of horizontal gene transfer and can even be capable of basically picking up DNA from the environment, the reproductive isolation idea becomes even more tricky.

I actually doubt that there is one species definition that will be practical across all of life.

edit :

In order to properly reply to the topic, I can add that I agree with you, Tuna. The idea that I am only temporary is comforting to me. I'm not looking forward to how my life will end, but at least there's nothing worrying about the conscious "me" not existing any more. In such a scenario, it's not like I'll miss or want or regret anything anyways.

I will pass on chromosomes to my kids if I have some and so part of me can live on that way and that's good enough for me.

Last edited by Guybrush; 12-05-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote