Music Banter - View Single Post - Has music become stagnant (stopped moving/evolving)?
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #30 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
Well I acknowledged that I lacked the perspective of witnessing a decade firsthand, and then seeing it's influence bloom in the future. But even looking back at the early 2000's, I saw a lot less genres being developed than decades of previous.
That's because the early 2000s still weren't very long ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
Out of curiosity, do you honestly think all decades were made equal? It just seems kind of counter-intuitive to me to look at every decade as being just as much the 'golden age' as the last. I can still appreciate releases at all times, but I also recognize slumps.
I guess it depends what you mean by equal. I mean, for example, there was material rationing in the 1940s that limited the production of records for a while. So that's a decade that you could point to and say that music was hampered by war, but at the same time it was the decade that gave us bebop, which in my opinion is one of the most interesting forms of music of the 20th century. So I'm not so sure I'd be comfortable labeling the decade a slump. Honestly I can't say I'd describe any decade of the mass media era as a musical slump and I feel that the kind of thinking that leads people to label them as such is the same of thinking that leads one to become a grumpy old person who thinks nobody makes real music anymore.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote