Music Banter - View Single Post - Has music become stagnant (stopped moving/evolving)?
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #36 (permalink)
midnight rain
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
That's because the early 2000s still weren't very long ago.
The genres established in the early 90s were pretty clearly defined in the early 2000's.

Quote:
I guess it depends what you mean by equal. I mean, for example, there was material rationing in the 1940s that limited the production of records for a while. So that's a decade that you could point to and say that music was hampered by war, but at the same time it was the decade that gave us bebop, which in my opinion is one of the most interesting forms of music of the 20th century. So I'm not so sure I'd be comfortable labeling the decade a slump. Honestly I can't say I'd describe any decade of the mass media era as a musical slump and I feel that the kind of thinking that leads people to label them as such is the same of thinking that leads one to become a grumpy old person who thinks nobody makes real music anymore.
Does that sound like how I'm approaching it? I'm not intentionally avoiding listening to new music.

I can think of hardly any classic r&b, blues, and jazz albums that were released in the last decade.

Last edited by midnight rain; 12-08-2012 at 01:40 PM.
midnight rain is offline   Reply With Quote