Music Banter - View Single Post - Has music become stagnant (stopped moving/evolving)?
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 10:46 PM   #86 (permalink)
Pursuingchange
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surell View Post
On the idea of old bands being more distinctive than newer bands, consider this: The DJ's are picking between what are considered classic cuts and the best of the best from the past; with new bands, they're playing almost any and all of a certain genre because the labels are trying to distribute it, get it noticed, and it's still being produced, as opposed to remaining a staple like Priest or AC/DC. How do you think radio sounded back in the day? I'm sure there were plenty of bands played back then that get little to no recognition now, along with staples from years past getting some rotation because it's considered classic. Classic Rock was not Classic Rock in the 70s and 80s - it was contemporary, ever-producing music, being made every day. In a few years, do you think certain rock songs found on the radio now will still get plays in the future? I heard a couple of rap songs on the radio today - "How to Love" by Lil Wayne and "Look at Me Now" by Chris Breezy and guests, to be specific - that got major rotation just months ago (maybe a year) that just got played for the first time in a couple months, and I'm a regular listener of the local rap stations. What's considered a lasting hit changes all the time, even in just a few months. When was the last time you heard Eiffel 65 on the radio? Around here, it must have been years since the last time i heard that shitty song of theirs on the waves.
Good point. I sort of agree. But I think I WILL stick to my belief that classic bands sound more disctinctive compared to newer bands. Say what you will. That's how I feel. Whether it better or worse.
Pursuingchange is offline   Reply With Quote