Music Banter - View Single Post - my crippled friends, etc.
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 10:37 AM   #66 (permalink)
Face
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
I guess hhbh arguement is for the privately owned business. But I heard a plenty of stories from elderly people who tripped on those handicapp accessible rampy corners then fall and get hurt. I don't know where you live at Face, but I live in a city where it can get icy in the winter time, and those ramps pose a slippery threat to the elderly. Maybe they are not taking anything away from him now, but who knows fifty years from now he might have a dagerous encounter with one of those handicap ramps.
I live in a city where it can get icy in the winter.

Here's a list of where I have, or have witnessed someone slipping.
Stairs
Ramps
Hills
Pavements

And if you want to use the stairs, use them! Magic. Or if he's in a mobility scooter, there'll be a ramp! Bet he won't be bitching about them then.

Disability acess are part of the overheads for a business now. Deal with it. Along with smoke alarms, fire safety drills, minimum wages, taxes, health standards etc. If putting in a ramp puts the business over the edge, well then they were going to fail anyway.

It scales with size (one small shop needs one tiny ramp), is a tiny fraction of the business expenditure and is largely a one time payment, are mutli-use they can be used for trolleys/trams/walking/bikes and aren't (usually) enforced where it would be highly impractical.

Find something worth bitching about.
Face is offline   Reply With Quote