Music Banter - View Single Post - Worst Late 70's Band
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #58 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surell View Post
It's the melodrama too - I think Boston, by embracing more humble songwriting (trad. RnR as you said, and love songs), were a little more understated than the others, and weren't such caricatures of grandiose rock n roll. Steve Perry's voice is technically good, but it can be very grating, and it just seems so contrived. I've never heard it soar quite like Brad Delp, who was also very reserved in his shining moments.

Don't let me fool you in seeming like I know a lot about these bands, though, because my knowledge is strictly radio hits.
Well you seem to have quite a good grasping on these bands. The reason why a lot of people have a negative view on the bands on the above list, is that they were largely commercial acts, who were geared upto to sell millions of albums, most of them though didn't start like this and actually in both Styx's and Journey's case they sounded like very different bands. Both Styx and Kansas went through a phase of almost being dropped by their record labels unless they started selling more albums, so their commercial direction was just a reaction to this. What most people neglect to see, is that these bands were outstanding musicians and knew what songcraft was all about so they knew what they were doing. Therefore people judge these bands strictly on their radio hits whilst probably not being too aware of their album material, personally I love these bands based on their albums and not on the strength of their singles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
For me Boston gets bonus points for being largely the product of a single person, and for being DIY before it was cool.
I agree with this. Tom Scholz was very much a DIY artist, but instead of going out and producing a grass-roots or underground style album, he put out a glossy soft rock classic and he would go onto reach great technical heights on the third album Third Stage. The problem with Tom Scholz though, was he believed too much in his own brilliance and therefore spent years trying to perfect albums instead of just getting them out.
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote