Music Banter - View Single Post - Last album you bought, downloaded or listened to
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2012, 03:27 PM   #18712 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Peter Brotzmann Trio - For Adolphe Sax

Great free jazz, and I would expect nothing less from Brotzmann.

Sun Ra - Four Classic Albums (Includes Jazz By Sun Ra, Jazz Silhouette, The Futuristic Sounds of Sun Ra, Supersonic Jazz, as well as singles)

Awesome boxset that only cost ten bucks. It's mostly early Sun Ra, from fifties to sixties. The singles are cool too, because I haven't listened to any of his doowop music, and it's decent.

Tom Waits - Big Time

Got the movie and the soundtrack for this one, and what a bloody fantastic record this is. Almost all of the songs are right on par with the album versions or better. The movie's pretty awesome if you haven't seen that as well.

Kaoru Abe - Also Dream of the Day

Kaoru Abe - Winter 1972

Kaoru Abe - 1970 In March, Shinjiku

Three albums by Kaoru Abe (the man in my avatar) that I got in my stocking this year. Improvisational jazz, primarily on solo alto saxophone. He primarily explores textures in his work, and he's one of my favourites. I haven't listened to them yet, but I doubt that I'll be disappointed.

Keiji Haino - Tenshi No Gijinka

An interesting one from Keiji Haino, as I've only heard his guitar and a capella works. It's percussion and vocals, far more ambient than his more abrasive noise work. Haino manipulates each object that he uses on the album in a beautiful way, and it sounds like an odd form of singing bowls. I think I'll need to listen to this one a couple more times.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote