Music Banter - View Single Post - What kind of headphones do you wear?
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #170 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bullet View Post
I have a pair. Not mind-blowing, but for being as cheap as they are, no complaints. Definitely good enough to do justice to most music.

Here's the catch. Because of their "extra bass" nature, the less reliant the music is on bass, the worse the headphones are. Electronic stuff sounds great on them. Bassy rock sounds good on them. If the bass is following the guitar, it's a little too much. Granted, now that I think of it, most of the bands I listen to have important basslines (I get pissed when I hear bass following the guitar on the radio), so this usually isn't a problem for me. If it will be for you, think twice. If not, go for it!
I can relate to this. Sadly, my classic Jensen 'phones broke on me after 14 years of great service, and I felt like someone who was seriously out of my time knowing that so much has changed when I was shopping for headphones, at least ones I can afford until later. A lot of emphasis has been on Bass, and as someone who's more used to classic and more traditional sounding playback, it was a strange world I entered although I'm sure I will find the perfect replacement pair for my broke Jensens soon.

Over at a bargain store (Note: DON'T ever think about going this route until you're seriously desperate!!!) I caught some reasonable/fair Uniden's with Extra Bass and this is pretty much the case. I can also say that old 60's rock albums do get an extra kick with this kind of headphone as well, but certainly not Folk (Folk-rock, yes, but Folk, no). Before record companies in the US started to use weak vinyl, the sounds were good, and now they have an extra push. Punk is hit and miss with them due to the occasionally low budget ways of recording, but Experimental and Post Punk are great. Collections from the Underground that feature a mixed sound can get frustrating, too, especially Black Metal.

New Wave, something I'm revisiting now due to going back to High School memories, is great through them as well. especially while playing British and European vinyl.

I'm thinking about getting a far better headphone, but this Extra Bass stuff is actually an interesting experience when playing records with the very old (Sanyo 1983!) receiver up to a good amount of Bass plus Bass Boost sound and a ultra fine turntable.

Last edited by Screen13; 01-01-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote