Music Banter - View Single Post - Illmatic - is it worth the hype?
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 11:14 PM   #41 (permalink)
Engine
air quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by anticipation View Post
I think the disconnect here is between hip hop fans who favor sparse, minimalistic production a la RZA, Large Professor and elevated lyricism and those who prefer lush, grandiose beats that evolved from De La, Tribe, Pete Rock, etc. If you are more into "backpacker"/new school beats that combine complex sampling and experimental influences, then it's hard to see how Illmatic had a direct impact on your experience with hip hop, just as it would be if we were talking about a Big L or AZ album's beats. Styles that come from the South (Memphis, Houston, NOLA, Atlanta) or the Bay are both rich in a diverse range of sampling and are known for emphasis on the "feeling" you get when you listen to them. By this I mean rappers from these areas are much more aware of their image, their persona, and what they are projecting to their audience more than storytellers or "gangster" rappers.
I'm not entirely sure what you're saying here. Do you mean that the bolded part is who Illmatic will appeal to?
And if so, are you proposing that the perception of those hip-hop fans is naturally different than those who have only ever been interested in new school beats? And that these fans will have a normal aversion to Illmatic?

P.S. I didn't intend to simply condescend to Goofle. I was trying to make the point that deep immersion in all hip-hop music would naturally result in an appreciation of Illmatic (which I do believe).

P.P.S. For the record, I think that Nas's post-Illmatic music pretty much sucks. It's just one of those 'perfect storm' type albums where everything came together just right and made it a classic.