Music Banter - View Single Post - Masterpieces Of Hip Hop
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 10:14 AM   #70 (permalink)
Whiskey
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
It's been a while since I've listen to Death Certificate but from what I remember I think The Predator is superior musically. It has this hard, bleak edge to a lot of the tracks that I absolutely love—which I don't think is as prominent on Death Certificate—and his rapping matches that hardness in a way that that doesn't really exist on his other albums (or at least the ones I've heard). As far as lyrics go, I'm not sure. I don't remember the lyrics to Death Certificate really standing out to me. The Predator, on the other hand, discusses the 1992 L.A. riots and the cultural climate surrounding them in such a vivid way that it always brings me right back to that tense, pivotal time, and still feels immediate to me even two decades later. As far as rhyme schemes go, I have no idea and it's not something I particularly care about, I'm just interested in whatever sounds best.
I agree with most of what has been said here. I also love much of the tracks present on The Predator, particularly the first 5 tracks, but in general the album has a groundbreaking production considering the circumstances, and Ice Cube's general vocal performance is pretty good as well. I also like the Gangsta-orientated feeling to the album. This feeling isnt very present on Death Certificate.

Last edited by Whiskey; 01-30-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote