Music Banter - View Single Post - Why such controversy on Nu Metal?
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #114 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

Seriously, I thought that this whole Nu Metal thing was something of the 90's. What's the controversy? A bunch of musicians inspired by theatrical Rock and simple Metal with a knowledge of how to sell themselves to a bunch of kids release a bunch of simplistic heavy Rock that sounds like a pretentious and over-serious version of EMF's Stigma but without anything that made it good including the bombastic Pop edge that made it an interesting listen or any weird stuff going on like the videos that made the teenyboppers wonder what drugs they were doing (Career-kills, I love them!).

Most of them come off as musician-businessmen who know the Kiss Concept (Hi, Slipknot!), Grunged up and ready to sell in the trailer parks, suburbs, and elsewhere where there's an interest in this stuff. They just threw out the old time fun and threw in the Grunge angst with slight Industrial bits here and there. As for the lyrics, sorry, but there's nothing in there but the same old same old "Me Me Me!!! Whine Whine Whine!!!" without touching on anything new or political most of the time. Their ability to play usually is pretty good, and some bands hire good graphics artists who capture the mood, but it's nothing to get all worked over about. You either like it or lump it. (and I pretty much lump it with possible song exceptions...I'll think of them when I get to them.)
Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote