Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 01:02 AM   #12874 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Django Unchained

I'm not a Tarantino fanboy. Inglorious Basterds was, despite being a reasonably entertaining movie about WW2, really shallow style over substance. The same can be said about Kill Bill 1 & 2, I think. The characters are fake and it was as if he'd just discovered Japanese anime, about a decade after I lost interest in it. Death Proof was mostly just boring dialogue and even Jackie Brown, which actually did have substance, was a bit boring. So I've thought of Quentin Tarantino as a bit overrated past Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs and haven't been that keen on his later work.

But yesterday, I finally got around to see Django Unchained and it had just about everything, substance, humour, great drama. The typical Tarantino pause with dialogue was highly entertaining in this film and not a drawn out bore like it can be in his other films. The excessive violence was great. The characters, although generally still a simple sort of good or evil, were all interesting to watch, especially Christoph Waltz as the German Dr. Schultz. I thought it had some great retro style camera work and I appreciated that it lasted as long as it did. I like when a movie has time to tell its story. Finally, I thought it brought up a potentially slightly sore subject (I'm not American, but I'm guessing it might be a little sore still to some) in a daring and highly entertaining way.

This was so much better than Basterds. For me, I think this is Tarantino's finest moment yet.