Music Banter - View Single Post - Forum Member Showcase
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #145 (permalink)
Burning Down
The Music Guru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
It's a good thing that only three people in the band know how to read sheet music then . I used to have the full version of Finale, but my computer got a malicious virus and it was old to begin with, so it was lost since we didn't back it up .
I also have Finale, but the Notepad version which was $10. I generally write out all my arrangements by hand (yeah it's a lot of work and lots of writer's cramp), but use programs like Musescore and Finale to help me work out transpositions (especially for horn and alto/bari sax) because I can write in concert pitch and then change it later.

Musescore has been more useful to me as of late because it's the only program besides Sibelius that has alto flute as an instrument choice. With Finale, I'd have to write for flute in G, but it doesn't always get the transposition right.

Right now I'm doing a full concert band arrangement of Here There and Everywhere by the Beatles. By hand, mostly. And all the separate parts will be handwritten as well. Sheet music software has permeated music composition so much that people now bitch like crazy when they get a handwritten part, even if it's neat like mine (some people are really messy though, lol). It's so pathetic.
Burning Down is offline   Reply With Quote