Music Banter - View Single Post - Badlittlekitten's top 100 Albums
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 11:09 AM   #20 (permalink)
FRED HALE SR.
Neo-Maxi-Zoom-Dweebie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlittlekitten View Post

Kool and The Gang - Best Of Kool and The Gang 1969-1976
Funk
Best tracks: Give it Up, Chocolate Buttermilk, Hollywood Swinging, Funky Stuff, Summer Madness.

Vintage Gang, vintage funk. 'Funky Stuff', 'Jungle Boogie', 'Summer Madness' and 'Hollywood Swinging' have rightfully become standards, and for me in particular, 'Swinging' is an infectious blast of how it feels to be young, black and lost in the possibilities of the big city (even if 'London Swinging' sounds slightly less glam). 'Summer Madness' is every car journey I've spent watching the setting sun blend in to the neon lights of the metropolis as the city's animals roam in search of the nights perfect excess. 'Funky Stuff' is hard as nails. The two most funkalicious funktastic funking tracks though are the lesser known 'Give it Up', which I CHALLENGE YOU to sit still to, and the chirpy but tough 'Chocolate Buttermilk', whose sax saunters and swaggers at the same time, always sure. And then there's the drums. AHH, them drums . . I'll happily lay here with a ditzy smile while you pummel at my skull.

1976 is a perfect cut off point by the way, hinting at a sleazy Sly Stone/George Clinton direction but cutting off before their dodgy disco adventures began.

Challenge!

Great act indeed. I love the soul of them along with Earth Wind & Fire and P-funk. One of the better acts to ever grace the stage on Soul Train.
FRED HALE SR. is offline   Reply With Quote