Music Banter - View Single Post - Masterpieces Of Hip Hop
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 10:33 AM   #83 (permalink)
FRED HALE SR.
Neo-Maxi-Zoom-Dweebie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrophonic Tonic View Post
I think Check Your Head is more consistent and diverse than Paul's Boutique and I also the enjoy the organic nature of Check Your Head. Paul's is a damn good album for sampling, but I can think of more albums that use extensive samples (i.e. Fear of a Black Planet) very well compared to rap albums with the organic sound of Check Your Head.

It's neck and neck with Things Fall Apart and 'Rock You' is one of my favorite album openers ever. I gave the nod to Things Fall Apart because it has my favorite Roots song, '100% Dundee'.
It is a tough call overall. I dig Paul's for the reasons you mentioned all the goofy samples and i think the lyricism was a huge step forward from Licensed. Check Your head they had some amazing beats and went experimental with the instrumental side a bit more. I didn't necessarily dig the thing they did with the vocals, kind of sounds like they're recording inside a trash can or something but I feel that record for sure it catapulted the Beasties to a totally different level much the way Pauls did. Extremely tough call for me, i'm Beasties in my heart for life.
FRED HALE SR. is offline   Reply With Quote