Music Banter - View Single Post - Jamie foxx says "black people are the most talented people in the world".
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #91 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
I never get the "if a white guy said it..." argument. Stupid statements are stupid. It doesn't matter where they come from. I'm sure people would lose their mind if a white person said it but so what? Its not outrageous because a black guy said it, its outrageous because racism is stupid.

And yes, its racist. Its placing some value on a skin tone which has none. "Black people" are from far too many countries, cultures, and backgrounds to make a statement like that and have it be anything bu absurd.
Tell it to the fact that the major media attention racism gets is usually a one-way thing, and propagates the impression that there's only one race out there dishing it all out, when in fact that's not the case.

If we're going to deal with racism, we need to not be doing it from a position of modifying a particular race's behavior, which is mostly what media and common perception seems to love to confuse. And that's where the "if a white guy said it" argument comes from. It sheds light on the hypocrisy in the way this issue is interpreted and misplaced. It makes the same argument you're making, which is that it's fallacious to assume racism can only be perpetrated by one race.
And because it's not limited to one race, the obvious way to deal with it is to not blame it on one race, and instead get at the actual issues behind such a behavior.

Or maybe I'm just giving people too much credit?
You tell me.