Music Banter - View Single Post - Jamie foxx says "black people are the most talented people in the world".
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 12:09 AM   #96 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
And Europeans invented saxophones, trumpets, pianos, etc. but that doesn't mean Europeans invented jazz. The bottom line is that the creation of many of the styles music being discussed isn't as simple as X or Y, they're the product of unique mixtures of musical traditions and their origins are complex. That being said, African-Americans have had a disproportionately massive impact on American music, it's pretty hard to deny that.
I think there is a proportionality for the African Americans, sorry if you disagree. I think the "disproportiontately" should rightfully go to Jewish Americans (2.1%) and maybe to the Scotch-Irish (1.2%).

The Scotch-Irish for their contributions to Appalachian music, American Folk Music, Rockabilly and Country.

Jewish American:

most influential Jewish Americans:
Aaron Copland: "the Dean of American Composers"
Bob Dylan
The Beach Boys
The Velvet Underground
David Grisman: inventor of "Dawg" music

some of the highest selling Jewish Americans:
Beastie Boys 40 million albums worldwide "the biggest-selling rap group" since 1991 > wiki
Herb Alpert: sold over 72 million albums worldwide > wiki
Neil Diamond: sold over 125 million records worldwide > wiki
Barbra Streisand: sold over 140 million albums sold worldwide > wiki

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote