Music Banter - View Single Post - You Are What You Listen To
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 12:34 AM   #47 (permalink)
CLOSER
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by misspoptart View Post
Ok, so you've established that you think people can't judge you by your tastes in music...but do you feel what you listen to is an extension of you?

See, this is where I have to say no! I think the music I've listened to and the bands/songs I like add layers to my personality and soul that wouldn't have been there otherwise. Perhaps I meant this to be more of a discussion about music and the human soul, if you think it exists.

I think the hypothetical human soul and music are very closely intertwined, actually. For example, I emote my energy -- whether negative or positive -- better when music is in the mix.
I believe that it is childish to judge someone based on the music they listen to, until their selections are a cultural choice that I don't relate to.

For instance if I am surrounded by individuals who believe they are the next lyricist of 2013 while reciting lyrics which embody ideals such as 'slappin dat hoe cos I'm a queen bee'; the creation of this subconscious mantra will justifiably allow me to decide I do not want to spend tea time with that person.

For many, the music they listen to is a piece of spiritual release that they might not otherwise get - arguably all individuals souls are extended by the sounds they long to hear repeatedly. What an interesting study.

Secondly, the suggestion of the music you listen to being a conscious action is not something I necessarily agree with. Many listen to music and don't understand the root of why it is so pleasing to them.
By this I don't mean statements like,
"I love classical music because it is so calming."
or
"Rock is awesome because it speaks to my rebellious side!!! "
Satirical lyrics? Ethereal tone? Nostalgic feelings? Social acceptance? Statements like the two I quoted stem from deeper feelings than just songs being well written or time transcending. It truly is parallel to the listeners state of mind - whether they understand how to articulate why or not.
CLOSER is offline   Reply With Quote