Music Banter - View Single Post - Moments in music that gave you goosebumps..
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #36 (permalink)
Paul Smeenus
David Hasselhoff

I posted in another thread about the incredible 9/12/2006 Ditty Bops concert here in Portland OR (I'm on the road having coffee & waiting for my bus back to Seattle), but what I haven't talked about (yet, I've intended to all along) was the opening act, Austin, TX's Datri Bean.

I spent the first 5-10 minutes of the opening set fiddling with my camcorder, checking settings, so forth. Then, as I I did so, some unknown force (call it the musical gods if you want) rapped me on top of my noggin and said F*CKING LISTEN TO THIS, DUMBASS!!! That's when I forgot all about my camcorder and started paying attention to this wonderful woman on the stage.

She had a girl playing drums for her, that was it. She set up her songs, explaining in anecdotal, charming funny ways how they came to be. I utterly loved everything she did and immediately after the end of her set I litterally RAN to the merch table and bought a CD of her first album, "Slow Down Summertime" from her (she signed it for me too, I must've come off as a drooling fanboy because she was pretty clearly embarrassed).

And as much as I loved every single moment of every song, one stood out. "Big Jim's Giant Truck Stop" was written about an epiphany she had on a cross country road trip.

In the midwestern US, there are truck stops that the truckers use to freshen up, they frequently have shower stalls, restaurants, fuel stations, all that. Well, Datri finds herself in one of these establishments, she's tired, dirty, a LONG way from home, and a thought hits her like a ton of bricks...

IS THIS WHERE MY LIFE WAS HEADING????

These lyrics make me bawl nearly without fail. There was no YouTube video for this so I posted my own (I contacted Datri and received her permission to post it, we'd struck up a bit of correspondence after that Ditty Bops concert, I *couldn't* have been hard to remember...)

Last edited by Paul Smeenus; 03-05-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Paul Smeenus is offline   Reply With Quote