Music Banter - View Single Post - QUESTION FOR AMERICANS: What are your thoughts on the new British Invasion of UK musi
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #20 (permalink)
neardeathexperience
Music Addict

I can tell you from a perspective of 5 British Invasions of music this present one is perhaps the weakest. We have become such a global community compared to forty years ago I don't think it has the same impact. If I might take a moment of your time I will break them down as far as I see it.
1. The first true invasion was of course the mid sixties with the Beatles and Stones paving the way for the Animals, Who, Herman's Hermits, the Dave Clark 5 and a host of other talented bands.
2. The 70s brought us a taste of metal with Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Ten Years After, Led Zeppelin etc etc all classic jaw dropping acts.
3. The 80s gave us Boy George, Clash, U2 etc etc talented, but perhaps not as stunning as the 60 and 70s artists in my opinion.
4. On to the 90s with Oasis, Blur, Travis, Keane and so on. A good swipe at past invasions.
5 Finally present day Adele, Florance And The Machine, One Direction and so on a watered down version of past pop stars.
I will say that the UK still has new artists that we in North America know little about. All one has to do is watch the Brit Awards and ponder at who the hell is that collecting those awards.
We have been invaded so often we have become numb to the fact in my opinion. I remember when most people who followed music casually thought Hendrix was from the Uk when he came over to play North America that is when the invasion still meant some thing..........
neardeathexperience is offline   Reply With Quote