Music Banter - View Single Post - North Korea At It Again
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 03:33 AM   #14 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhanastasio View Post
I still really think it's a lot of hot air being blown out North Korea's ass. If they attack the US mainland, that's an act of war, and they know that they'd be targeted by the remaining US and their allies. North Korea is an overwhelmingly impoverished country, with technology that can't hang with the main powers. Everyone and their brother seems to have nukes now, so big whoop, North Korea. They don't have the capability to start a war and emerge unscathed, and they have to know it. They still have their own MO, however, and distaste for South Korea, and want to talk a lot of ****, because South Korea is a war they think they can win.

China tolerates them, but their relationship is strained, and if N. Korea ****s up, China is not going to deal with their bull****. Their main concern seems to be keeping Kim Jong Un in order, in power, and refugees the hell out of China.

A great deal of the world seems just to tolerate them, and they're not huge on diplomacy. If they did something stupid, they'd either be invaded and their government overthrown (best case scenario) or completely wiped off the map (obviously worst case scenario.)

So, ultimately, they wage war, and they either get their asses handed to them in the end, or the world kills itself. I doubt either one of these things are on North Korea's agenda, but you never know, I guess.
People massively underestimate how strong NKs military actually is though - That they have a million man army isn't exactly some silly irrelevant point.

Its true that if they waged war on the rest of the world they'd lose, but technology only goes so far in the face of superior numbers wielding a still significant amount of firepower. They'd potentially get a lot done before folding.

The other problem is that NK is actually very difficult to wage war against - much like Russia, the geography there confers a huge defending advantage - Its been tried before to wage war against NK and the losses were far larger than army strength and technology alone should have indicated.

Nothing will happen, because this is all a show of force and an attempt to provoke, but the fact of the matter is that it is a very real standoff - NK can't leave their country to attack others because their enemies have much stronger armies, but nobody can attack into NK because there's just not enough reason to suffer those losses if NK are only shouting and yelling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote