Music Banter - View Single Post - Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #23 (permalink)
FRED HALE SR.
Neo-Maxi-Zoom-Dweebie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mankycaaant View Post
My opinion is that both Frank Ocean and JT are stronger artists. They understand the music better; know when to let it breathe, have incredibly versatile vocal ranges and I know this may seem shallow given the technological advancements since the days of Inversions but the production is so much smoother, well rounded and layered.

There's no doubt MJ and Wonder were great 'singers' but as artists I find them to be rather one dimensional compared with JT and Frank who have better and more diverse ranges and aren't prone to the filler that Stevie and MJ put on some of their albums because they lacked the depth to keep up the standard throughout.

Besides just because an album is 20/30 years older than another, doesn't make it better. Hence the nostalgia comment I made.
My opinion is that they don't understand the music better. I wouldn't even consider Ocean a part of the conversation honestly. If you're gonna talk vocal range then Stevie wins hands down. If you're gonna talk musicianship its not even close because Stevie basically made the album Innervisions on his own with every instrument known to man. And it is Innervisions you might wanna listen to it someday, nostalgia aside its a very impressive album. Sure it has Higher Ground to fall back on but there are some incredible gems on it, none of which are filler as you've described.

I like the new JT album, its definitely a great effort by him and filled with radio friendly and club standouts. Sure hes got a great range and hes an incredible showman, but he will never make a record that will be as thought provoking and well rounded as Innervisions.

But this thread isn't about Stevie Wonder its about JT and I really dig the progression of the record, and I very rarely listen to rnb type music any longer.
FRED HALE SR. is offline   Reply With Quote