Music Banter - View Single Post - North Korea At It Again
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #36 (permalink)
hip hop bunny hop
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Yes, having an ally and then saying "we don't care" is a prelude for distrust from other nations. In any case, the US has already made their pledge to defend their South Korean allies and unless you think they are bluffing, I take it that "vital strategic interest" (? material interest?) isn't always a necessary precondition. Besides, apart from some of the industries in the South (electronics, ship building, vehicles), the United States also has a significant Korean immigrant population, most of whom are well educated. Nothing vital or strategic in that I presume...
American-South Korean trade amounts to about $90 billion a year. So, no, from an economic angle the USA certainly does not have a vital interest in South Korea.

Regarding the notion that treating South Korea in a manner consistent with it's strategic worth to the USA could lead to "distrust" from other nations; I should hardly think sending a message to the rest of the world that the USA will cease to fight other nations battles for them would be a bad thing.