Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 10:01 PM   #13093 (permalink)
ThePhanastasio
Killed Laura Palmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exoskeletal View Post
I agree with you but there are also some classic films on there that certainly aren't on there for being "popular". Most of them are older films but some great foreign films of the last ten years are on there. It's a flawed list that gets a few things right but wrong things VERY WRONG. Is every Nolan movie on that list? I love his work but really? Dark Knight and Memento and that should be all.
As far as Nolan, I'd also say that Inception kind of earned its place. It was a blockbuster, but there was certainly a great deal more going on than your run of the mill blockbuster action-packed flick. It managed to be extremely popular, and make the average movie patron think at the same time. I think that it was important in that way, even if there are way better movies that are underlauded. Dark Knight and Memento also deserve to be on the list, but Dark Knight should not be as high as it is. It's just not top 10 material.

And, although I actually preferred the characters and story of Dark Knight Rises to its predecessors, I don't think it was the superior film, or as important in the grand scheme of things. Its being above American Beauty, Vertigo, Taxi Driver, A Clockwork Orange, and Amelie just doesn't sit right with me.

And All About Eve barely being in the top 100 with all of the other fluff on the list makes me pretty ****ing irritated with other peoples' inability to watch much of anything that came out after 1980 or so unless it's played to death on TV.

It's a hand-me-down, the thoughts are broken
Perhaps they're better left unsung
ThePhanastasio is offline   Reply With Quote