Music Banter - View Single Post - Boston Bombing
Thread: Boston Bombing
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #328 (permalink)
Engine
air quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
I love people who can't wait to bash others for talking about how tragic something is, because they should be more outraged about some other tragedy which they believe to be more tragic.

"How can you even say this is bad? 3 times the amount of people died in something else that happened!"

The expectation that we should have an emotional response to everything is as unreasonable as it is stupid. The quantifying of tragedy is both insensitive and obnoxious. Not everything is a competition, especially senseless violence and people comparing them and attempting to place values on them should be ashamed of themselves.
As far as I know, nobody here (on MB) has said that the Texas explosion is more outrageous or more tragic than the Boston bombing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
Finally, I should mention that regarding the Boston Marathon, theres a great deal of symbolism associated with it. If people are giving more media coverage to it, its not because we think that the lives in Boston are worth more. Its not because a fertilizer plant means less. And I think people know why Boston is getting more media coverage but would rather appear to be more knowledgeable and "correct" about things more than they would prefer to appear to have some sense of class and (yeah, I'm writing it) tact.
Obviously the bombing has more media attention because it was a deliberate act of violent religious terrorism committed in the US. Other than that, I really don't know what you mean about symbolism, knowledge, correctness, classiness, or tact.