Music Banter - View Single Post - Do The Order Of Songs On An Album Really Matter To You?
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #35 (permalink)
Zer0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
Go for it, Zero ! Live outside the box a little; you may be pleasantly surprised.
So this evening I decided to listen to an album I'm very familiar with, Souvlaki by Slowdive, on shuffle to see if it gave me any surprises. I tried to forget about the original running order the best I could and listen with an open mind. One thing for definite was that the overall experience fell a bit disjointed despite the quality of the individual songs (and what amazing fucking songs they are). It was a bit like putting a jigsaw puzzle of a very interesting painting together. However some pieces don't quite fit together right because they're in the wrong place and the overall picture is slightly distorted. The order in which the songs played didn't seem to flow right on the whole and made the album sound a bit clunky despite some nice transitions.

One thing that did surprise me though is that the second half of the album seems to flow better when 'Altogether' and 'Melon Yellow' are swapped around. The random shuffle ended up giving me 'When The Sun Hits', 'Melon Yellow' and 'Altogether' in sequence. 'When The Sun Hits' flowed nicely into 'Melon Yellow' and seemed to make 'Melon Yellow' sound more downbeat and depressing than normal. Again the transition into 'Altogether' worked nicely and made the song have a bit more life to it. So I guess you could say it did throw up a couple of surprises but I won't be in a rush to listen to it on shuffle any time soon.