Music Banter - View Single Post - Why do you like Country?
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013, 02:18 PM   #387 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blarobbarg View Post
Some of the older artists akin to the ones you've mentioned, and I'm a really big fan of Josh Garrels, a guy from Indiana making folk/country/indie/electronic stuff. He mixes folk instruments, a country-soul voice, samples, and occasionally, kind of raps/sings rhythmically. Also, some more folk and country based punk music has gotten my attention. There's been some other random stuff I've heard by accident that has made me realize I like the genre.

I like bluegrass too, but I know nothing about it.
If you're looking for a good country/ bluegrass band with a slight punk edge, I'd recommend Slim Cessna's Auto Club. Anything from 2004 onwards is definitely worth a listen, with their 2008 album Cipher being an absolute masterpiece.

Another bluegrass/punk band you might want to check out is .357 String Band. Their shows were best described as a blend of rednecks, bikers, and punks and the band seems to pretty much look that way as well. They were relatively short lived though, disbanding sometime in 2011 or 2012, and only releasing three albums, all of which are pretty good.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote