Music Banter - View Single Post - Why are country and world music lumped together??
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2013, 08:14 AM   #25 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post

The last time we had a forum shuffle around we needed to merge the 3 lowest traffic forums together to get the forum the way we wanted it, had we needed to merge the lowest 4 forums instead Reggae would have been included in it too. As it happened we didn't need to and it was allowed to stay as a separate forum.
^ That´s an interesting bit of MB history, and I´m sure most of us are happy to leave the forums the way the mods put them.

Quote:
All genres bleed into each other so you have to draw the line somewhere before things look silly. I'd rather have less forums that are active than have the car crash that is that other music forum that regularly rips our ideas off us where they have about 40 separate forums for every little thing that hardly anybody posts in.
^ I don´t really browse in other forums, but you´re quite right, that sounds like a disaster of endlessly having to define genres that, as you say, run together anyway. It must be like taking a mug of coffee and trying to separate out the water from the milk and the sugar.

None the less, while this thread is on the topic of terms and genres, I´d like to make a couple of points that may only appeal to the pedantic among us, so read on at your peril:-

1:-
Quote:
Originally Posted by geometron View Post
Why are country and world music lumped together??
They're two totally different things.
^ They´re not totally different at all; country is just one type of world music.

2:-
I really like Neapolitan, so I feel guilty to be nit-picking his answer to the question, "What is world music?", especially as I am making up my definitions as I go along too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
...it's music that is played throughout the world.
To me, a more useful answer is that world music is music that may come from anywhere in the world and still retains some evidence of its ethnic origin.

3:-
People seem to use the words "international" and "world" as if they are interchangeable, but I think there´s a distinction to be made.
International is something that occurs across many nations; MB is an international forum, the same way the binary number system is international; it´s the same everywhere and it´s not immediately obvious where it originated from.
These days a piece of music like this can be accessed internationally, but it´s not international music; it clearly comes from Africa and is an example of world music:-

Well, those are my ideas anyway. Don´t know if they are of interest, or make sense to anyone else ....