Music Banter - View Single Post - Which genre hurt rock music in general more?
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2013, 07:20 PM   #30 (permalink)
Groupie

No genre has "killed" rock, in my opinion. I say "killed" because it doesn't seem particularly dead to me either.

Most people I know these days (myself included) like rock but like other genres too. Music genres are incresingly less of an exclusive thing so when it comes to your average music buyer, rock has to compete with other genres. When most mainstream rock musicians are no longer grabbing as much attention, who do you think will sell records?

Musically speaking, most rock bands that get any attention from the public are sticking too much to old formulas. Marketing-wise, hip-hop and pop musicians get more publicity and airplay because they're catering to an audience that wants to listen to new things and look at new imagery. If rock is going to die anytime soon it's more because of its inability to adjust to a new market that has different audiences and demographics and different methods.

That alone doesn't mean rock will die. Maybe some truly innovative bands will start getting more attention from labels and subsequently from the general public. Maybe we'll stop measuring a genre's success by its commercial success in charts. I still buy rock music but when it comes to current artists, most of them are smaller bands that frankly don't get the attention they deserve.
#000000 is offline   Reply With Quote