Music Banter - View Single Post - Kanye West - Yeezus
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #198 (permalink)
hip hop bunny hop
Music Addict

I decided to write a proper review for this:

Quote:
On "Yeezus", Kanye West has put out music aimed at those with their head buried in pop culture quick sand. Kanye raps about how hard it is being a multimillionaire over beeps and boops, Kanye raps about how hard it is being black over beeps and boops, Kanye raps about being a black multimillionaire over some beeps and boops, and then he does a bit of self mocking in the song "I Am God" over some beeps and boops. This track is, objectively speaking, about as a deep as a puddle of urine in the parking lot of a bar, as Kanye beats the listener over the head with thoughts straight out of the notebook of someone who once went to community college for a whole semester.

Kayne has even extended a hand to the limp wristed Liberal community with the track "New Slaves", which has all the depth of a fourteen year old anarchist trying to resolve how living with his parents conflicts with his way-far-out political beliefs. This, too, is done over beeps and boops.

The beeps and boops are all uniform, at their core. Subtlety is avoided, which makes this album dark or something. The samples draw attention to themselves, which is self-referential, and that makes this album deep or something. The songs sections do not flow but rather abruptly transition, so as to emphasize that this album is different or something.

Lyrically, Kanye uses trite and common themes that the listener can relate and spices this up with expressions of power. You croissants may not be from a "french-ass-restaurant" , but, like Kanye, you can express rage over the long wait for your Croissan'Wich as you wait in the Burger King drive through. The track changes, and you reflect on consumerism and your unwillingness to escape it. He doesn't stop at the pop political commentary, either - he even touches on spiritual subjects. Oh my god, this is some deep ****, the listener is intended to think.

1/5