Music Banter - View Single Post - Favorite country songs?
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013, 10:56 PM   #34 (permalink)
DriveYourCarDownToTheSea
AllTheWhileYouChargeAFee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin B. View Post
. . . I'd go so far as to say that Austin Texas has replaced Nashville as the capital of country music because there's a lot more authentic country music coming out of Austin these days than in Nashville. I hate to sound like a purist but there are some aspects of our musical culture that are worth preserving and old time country music is one of them.
I'm sort-of two minds about the whole thing. One the one hand I do agree that country music that doesn't sound much like, well ... country music ... probably doesn't really count as "country music!" On the other hand, I also recognize that a genre - any genre - has to grow and experiment or it just keeps repeating the same thing over and over, which gets boring. It's one reason why I've become sort-of 'meh' about the blues: I like the blues, but after a while they all start to sound the same. And if you stray too much from it, it doesn't sound so blues-y, so then you have to wonder if it's really a blues song, and some of its original appeal is lost.

Darned if you do, darned if you don't, I suppose.