Music Banter - View Single Post - Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #48 (permalink)
Soulflower
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
Wow we will have to agree to disagree but I don't hear that at all whatsoever. All of the songs on this album sound more mature and have a different sound to them. Most people that like Justified and FS/LS didn't end up liking this album because they felt there weren't enough dancey fast paced songs which he is bringing on the second part of the experience coming in Sept.
Lyrically or production wise? I respectfully disagree. His subject matter is very elementary and generic. I have a hard time understanding how you would find the lyrics on the album mature. His subject matter is very formulaic and doesnt go broad into other mature topics. There are songs on this album that sound like FS/LS. FS/LS wasnt a commercial album either.

I guess we do have to agree to disagree because I dont think JT has shown any growth as an artist with this album. We will have to see for Part II if he truly as.

Quote:
Okay, I just re-listened to Mirrors/Cry Me a River back to back and you have a point with that ONE song. Also, I love that the songs are longer. You can just groove to it longer and ride the beat. It doesn't have to have extra things being added in that space of time when you are creating a vibe to flow with.
Let me start out by saying that I ADORE long songs. One of my favorite songs is 12 minutes long. I dont think it serves a purpose to run a song longer than what is necessary if there are no artistic things going on in those added minutes. It can be detrimental to the song if a song is made longer than what it should be. It just seems like he purposely ran certain songs longer so they could be long. I didnt hear any inspiring things going on in those extra added minutes.

Quote:
The reason he's getting so much credit/hype is because the sound that he put out even though it's heavily influenced from greater artists. There are no current artists using this sound because they are too busy leaning heavily on electronica to mix with their R&B.
Thats the thing, there ARE current artists that are artistic and that use REAL instruments in their music. There are some that get heavy R&B spins ALL the time on the R&B stations but the media isnt hyping them up, why do you think that is? Its one thing if he was doing something that NO ONE out now is doing but there ARE and alot that do it better and play real instruments.

Wow, I think the reason why the media hyped the album up is because he hasnt put out an album in 7 years and Justin is a media darling. Its also not bad to have a good marketing team behind you either.

The album is descent. Id give it 3.5 stars. I would have given it a 4 if real instruments were used and stronger lyrical content was there. They make it seem as though he is doing something that has never been done before when there are artists that make this kind of music ALL the time.

They also were comparing him to Sammy Davis Jr, MJ and Stevie Wonder which I think is a joke.

Quote:
I don't get why people always have an issue with artists using music that influences them in their work to bring it to a new generation/audience.
I agree.

I dont have a problem with this but I do have a problem with the media implying that this "sound" he is copying is innovative when he is basically copying 70s and 80s singing style and sound.

Quote:
Seriously, stop being stingy with your(not you specifically but people with your mindset usually much older folks) "greats" and let other artists introduce younger people to a sound that they may have not heard of. If the younger audience loves the sound and does some research they will come to find out where he borrowed it from and enjoy those "greats" as well.
I agree with all of this and dont have a problem with it. However, its also not good for younger audiences to assume what JT is doing is "orginal" when it is not. They are only assuming that based off what the media is marketing and adverstising. I think its good for young people to be exposed to both spectrums. I am fornuate enough to have been exposed to alot of those artists growing up because if I wasnt I probably would think the same thing.

Quote:
I don't know why you are saying that those R&B artists aren't getting any credit. Maxwell and Anthony Hamilton have enjoyed their success when their albums have been released. D Angelo, not so much though. I feel like you are on D Angelo's street team lol. You tend to bring him up a lot. I admit I haven't given him a fair shot after he went buck ass naked in a video for attention.
LOL. D Angelo is one of my favorite artists at the moment which is why I bring him up alot. He has an album coming out this fall that I am excited about. That man plays most of the instruments in his music, writes, arranges, produces the whole shabang himself. His music is heavily inspired by Prince and he incorporates alot of funk, soul, R&B etc *Fingers crossed* He hasnt made an album in 13 years. Hopefully the news is real that he is coming out with that album this fall. And you're right it was a bad move for him to go naked in that video. It really took the focus away from his talent and music. Another artist I love is Janelle Monae,ugh I love her so much lol I am going to make a thread on her soon here but not sure what forum to make it in because her music is so eclectic.

The reason why I say they are not getting any credit in comparision is because they make the same type of music JT does but they have stronger material, stronger vocals, stronger songwriters, use real instruments etc.

JT is backed by a million dollar label he has that advantaged over those other artists but that doesnt necessarily mean he is more talented or artistic despite what the media is marketing. Thats my only criticism.

Last edited by Soulflower; 08-03-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote