Music Banter - View Single Post - The Metallica Paradox.
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2013, 06:20 AM   #89 (permalink)
Dr. Boo Bear
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardc77 View Post
Regarding Metallica I always heard lot of people (everywhere) saying things like :“Oh, I was so disappointed when the black album came out” or “I quit buying their records when they sold out with Bob rock” or even ”I stopped listening to them after Master of Puppets”.
So I decided to do some quick research, and I found out a few interesting things.
The first thing is that very few people bought the band’s first three albums when they came out.
When Cliff Burton died in 1986, Metallica hadn’t managed to achieve a single Gold Record …and that’s just 500 thousand copies.
Mostly they didn’t even headline tours back then but they were just a supporting act.
So how is it possible that so many people have this strong nostalgia for the good old early days of Metallica?
It just doesn’t add up.
Second thing, since we are talking about records that came out almost 30 years ago, I really doubt that most people under 40 knew about Metallica when Cliff Burton was still alive regardless of album sales.
Unless they were listening to Ride the lightning in kindergarten.
Cool but improbable.
I had heard of Metallica prior to Master of Puppets. I had Ride the Lightning on cassette. I picked it up in a music store on a whim. I enjoyed it to a degree, but I was never a huge fan. I do know that there was a huge buzz about Metallica around town prior to Burton's death. I quit listening after Justice. It wasn't so much that I thought they had sold-out. I just wasn't interested in that kind of music anymore. I had moved on to other styles. I have revisited their catalog recently and I found that they really peaked on Master, IMO. Justice is pretty bad. Too much cocaine, money, grief, and booze.
Dr. Boo Bear is offline   Reply With Quote