Music Banter - View Single Post - Jay-Z vs. Nas
Thread: Jay-Z vs. Nas
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013, 06:45 AM   #305 (permalink)
Cuthbert
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundgardenRocks View Post
I never said they were yours, I said they were "subjective", which they are. And just because you think they're fair doesn't mean they are. For example, I'd give Blueprint 2 a MUCH higher rating than a 1.5/5. It's biggest problems were average songs (filler) and overblown length. It had a lot of gems on it. I also don't think IWW deserves a 4.5/5. That whole album was Nas jumping on the mafioso bandwagon. It didn't have that signature Nas style that everyone loved Illmatic for. Instead we got Raekwon-lite Escobar. Untitled was a flop for me too, some of the worst hip hop production on a Nas album period. The whole idea was an artistic failure in my eyes.
Not the whole of IWW was Nas on the Mafioso bandwagon, the content is a bit harder but the production definitely doesn't sound Mafia-esque (listening through now, toward the end it does kinda go that way). He does it well though, nobody is saying he was a pioneer of that style, if you're gonna use that against Nas then you should do the same w/ Reasonable Doubt, that was just another Mafioso type New York CD that was average when it came out and Nas is a better lyricist than Jay and does it better imo (I Gave You Power is a classic imo.)

I think I was discussing IWW on here not long ago and said I didn't like If I Ruled the World and the song with Dre but other than that the CD is very strong.

Blueprint 2 was awful imo and a flop in comparison to it's predecessor. I listened to it at the time and didn't rate it at all, maybe I'll give it another go but doubt my opinion will change. I didn't like Untitled either. Street's Disciple was crap as well.

What is your opinion on the other Nas albums, say between Illmatic to Life is Good? Fair ratings?

Tbh the point I was trying to make was that when you analyse the discographies a bit, Nas has the stronger discography, thus trumping Jay-Z at what he apparently does best.
Cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote