Music Banter - View Single Post - Got Feminism?
Thread: Got Feminism?
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2013, 08:22 AM   #158 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Firstly, I think everyone should be equal. Why women are not, or were not, is perhaps their own fault to some small degree, as they allowed themselves to be oppressed for too long before standing up for themselves. Think about it: why did women accept a lower social status than men? Women are the ones who bring life into the world, so surely they should be viewed, if anyone should, as the superior form of life?

But now it's gone the other way. It's the radical, almost fanatical and angry feminism I can't stand. As has been said here already, things like holding doors, standing up when a woman comes into the room (oh nobody does that anymore do they?), giving up your seat or pushing hers in, offering to pay for the whole date (or just assuming you are), even goddamn smiling at a woman can now get you the label of being a sexist. And why? Are feminists so insecure now that they have to put down men at every opportunity, to show how liberated they are?

Here's a joke I made up, but it encapsulates the thinking of SOME women, I stress some, the type I speak of above.

Two women fall over a cliff, one grabs the ledge, the other holds on to her leg, swinging wildly. Calling for help. Man hears, comes over. Reaches down. Woman screams "Get away from me! You're trying to oppress me! I dont need your male help! I'm not some tiny frail flower who needs a MAN to help me up! We're just fine here, my sister and me. Stop trying to impose your male-dominating agenda on us! **** off!"

Yeah, unlikely but it demonstrates how bloody single-minded some feminists can be. It's not all about inequality, or oppression. I was brought up to respect women, and this is what I do. If that offends someone's sense of their own gender worth, or whatever, then that's their problem. I'll continue to help women and be as polite as I can and nobody will stop me doing that.

And what's with the burning of the bra? I never got that? Don't yaz need those for support? If you're going to say that it's because the bra is an invention of males then you're going to have to burn your skirt, knickers, pantyhose, shoes, blouse and walk around naked, cos men are going to have been involved in the manufacture, production and/or distribution of all of these at some point. Just seems a pointless gesture and not founded in any reality.

But this thread also ties in with Vanilla's other one about whether women get paid equally, and no they don't of course. It's sad but true. When I worked, Laura was one the best workers, everything you could ask for, and yet she got at least two grand less than I did. How is that fair? For no other reason than that she's a woman?

So to answer the question: feminism is certainly fine. Revel in your femininity. It's when it becomes more a superior than an equal attitude that women fall into the trap of repeating the same prejudices they profess to hate men for, yet somehow fail to see it.

tl;dr: women are great and should be treated equally, but the reverse should also be true from their side.