Music Banter - View Single Post - Good Bad Or Indifferent Janis Joplin
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2013, 07:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
neardeathexperience
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyislingering View Post
Agreed. Love their sound. Something about that San Francisco groove just gets me.

The thing I love about Janis is that she didn't just sing. She bled. She had this incredible war going on in her head, so much pain in her heart, and she just bled on stage. She was authentic. You could feel her; you can still feel her. I get chills listening to her (especially live footage - you can't get the full Janis experience just listening to studio tracks).

I don't really feel there was a tragic loss when she passed. I feel that she accomplished what she needed to in the short time that she was alive, and had she lived on, she would have seen nothing but agony (and chances are, she would have had to stop sharing that with us).

Here's Janis at the Monterey Pop Festival. I lived not far from the fairgrounds where this historical event took place. There's not much there but buildings, and it's all fenced in. Not exactly as magical as I would have imagined. (Sorry to break anyone's heart, but it's gone.)

Spoiler for unpopular opinion:
A lot of people disagree with me when I say this, but I also think she was beautiful.

"Ball and Chain"

at 3:31 you can see Mama Cass - another legend we lost too soon.

RIP Janis, you lost little girl. Love you.
Have you by any chance watched the documentary entitled the Festival Express? This was film just a short couple of months prior to her death.
neardeathexperience is offline   Reply With Quote