Music Banter - View Single Post - The Batlord Likes Scuzzy, Low-Rent Metal, and You Should Too
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2013, 09:22 AM   #56 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Obliteration: Nekropsalms - 2009

Obliteration are one of the best kept secrets in modern death metal. There are plenty of nostalgia acts in metal nowadays, but very few of them are worth your time. Obliteration are the mother****ing exception to the mother****ing rule. This band follows in the footsteps of such bands as Autopsy, Obituary, and Asphyx, combining only the filthiest, sloppiest, and most primitive death metal with gloriously sludgy doom and they don't really give a **** about any of your ****ing tech death bull****. Not that these guys are the second-rate pretenders that that implies. These guys can stand toe-to-toe with the best of the old school and come out looking pretty. Yet with all their old-school chops they still manage to bring the whole thing a few steps forward. Not by much, but they don't really care about that anyway.

The thing that really gets my goat about this band is their production. Obituary's Cause of Death was a disgusting, fecal matter-covered thing of beauty, but Obliteration manage to top that album (at least as far as the production goes) with it's foul sludge. A tasty amount of reverb and murk make this album positively reek. In fact if this album were scratch 'n' sniff it would smell like the rank stench of a six-month old corpse once the grave robber has cracked the coffin lid. And you can be assured that he won't live long after that.

Man, I've been going on too long recently, so I'll just leave it at that and tell you that if you like Obituary then you need this band in your life.

There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote