Music Banter - View Single Post - Anteater's 25 Favorite Albums of 2013
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

^ Oooh, what a koinkydink. I assure you, dear TH, that it is worth every penny you'll spend and more.

Anywho....ONWARD to numbah twenty!

20. Fates Warning - Darkness In A Different Light

Genre: Old school progressive mutha****in' metal!1

Sounds Like: Fates Warning obviously. What, you thought I was gonna say DREAM THEATER?! *laughs hard*. THINK AGAIN YOU FOOLS!

It's been a long, long journey to get to 2013 for the world's oldest progressive metal band: 31 freakin' years in fact. After cementing the genre alongside Iron Maiden, Queensrÿche and a couple of others, the 90's and 00's brought countless imitators and competitors, and since 2004 the band that started it all has remained in a state of uncertain hermitage until Darkness Of A Different Light emerged a month or so ago out of a 10 year abyss. That's a pretty damn long gap between albums...so how good could it really be?

In one word, I'll go ahead and say phenomenal. Anyone with a passing interest in heavy metal at all is probably familiar with the guitar prowess of Jim Matheos and the distinctive tenor of long time Texan vocalist Ray Alder, but even if you've never heard a Fates Warning album before, you'd be quite impressed with this one. Its crushingly heavy, very melodic and despite being primarily guitar driven, the songs are superb and rank among the most distinct they've ever laid to the recording pasture.

This sucker is simply a winner through and through. Looking for a thrash-oriented number to add to your DJ Plug queue? Opening song 'One Thousand Fires' is your new best friend. Into the more modern groove of bands like Tool & Karnivool? Take 'Firefly' and 'I Am' on for size and let Alder's voice pull you into the sky. And for anyone who wants to hear an example of how to do a 14-minute epic right, there's closing cut 'And Yet It Moves' to satisfy your hankerin' for a deep-dish progger.

There are many bands out there who certainly qualify as "progressive" metal...but there's only one Fates Warning. And if there was ever an album to give you that segue into their fascinating dimension, 2013 just delivered it on a shiny silver platter.

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote