Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart's all-time favourite albums ever (ever!)
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2013, 05:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

You can all think I'm kissing ass here but I'm bloody serious! I started listening to this for review purposes, at his request, but it easily deserves a spot here, and as time goes on I'm going to find myself returning to this album more and more.

(Plus, someday it may be worth a pile of cash!)

Krill --- Plankton's Odyssey --- 2013
There's just one word to describe this album: amazing. Everything on it is composed, played and produced by our man Plankton (okay, some keyboard parts apparently excepted but come on!) and it's easily, easily the equal of anything you can buy in your local record store or on itunes. From hard-hitting metal anthems to laidback guitar etudes, this album has it all. It's entirely instrumental, and therefore even more of a surprise that it didn't lose me along the way. Let me put it like this: I listened to the solo album by Neal Schon of Journey for this same year and I was bored to tears by about track three. I couldn't stop listening to this and I know all the tracks by heart now (by which I mean I can hum along with them, as I couldn't play a geetar to save my life!).

If you haven't heard his work yet get ye to Home - Planktons Odyssey and download the album, then just sit back and shake your head in amazement at the talent this guy has. I truly expect him to be discovered some time in the next few years and to rise to great heights. If not, there is no justice in this world. Tracks like "Lights of an unknown city", the scorching "Son of soothsayer", the frankly manic "Screaming at an empty canvas" all sit alongside gentle ballads like "Canadian mist" and "Fields of youth". Oh yeah, then there's the title track, both parts of it.

Stunning stuff. Incredible to think I know someone with this level of talent and creativity. I just hope he gets something new out next year, otherwise this file is going to end up getting corrupted from too much playing! Which reminds me: better make a backup!

TRACKLISTING

1. Flustraxion
2. Waiting impatiently
3. Shoveled
4. Lights of an unknown city
5. Canadian mist
6. Son of soothsayer
7. Here we go again
8. Xphereblotish
9. Screaming at an empty canvas
10. Krill part 1
11. Krill part 2