Music Banter - View Single Post - The English Football Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2013, 12:19 PM   #5009 (permalink)
Cuthbert
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Ok, I'm looking for people to weigh in here. Preferably people whose team aren't a top 6 team or people who have known a relegation battle or life in the lower leagues.

Sparked by recent conversation surrounding Sunderland reaching the last four of the League Cup, I want to ask, IF your club was bottom of the league or in a relegation fight and also reached the semi-finals of a cup competition - would you rather survive or win a cup final?
We were in a very, very similar position last year if you remember. Looked nailed on to go down around December-February, 19th at the end of January and in the League Cup semi's.

It's hard for me to say, cos it's been 17 years since Villa won something which is far too long for a club of Villa's size, the fans have had very little to cheer about, and in that time we've lost two cup finals. Being one of only a handful of clubs to have never been relegated since football was invented, in 1992, is nice to gloat about but means nothing really, trophies are what it's all about.

I think because of the way the league is now, with the TV money and all, most people would pick staying in the league cos that gives you the platform to improve, but there's no actual glory in that. You don't remember getting 50m but you do remember winning a trophy. Wigan's FA Cup win will live on forever to Wigan fans for example, yeah they went down, but they won the FA Cup.

Depends if you want sustainability or glory. I discussed this with a Scouse friend before, we were talking about them dropping out of the CL and Arsenal and the 4th place issue. Basically we agreed that Liverpool's lows have been lower over the past 5/6 years but the highs have been much higher, whereas Arsenal haven't actually done anything.

It's a tough one. Also people have forgot Newcastle's relegation pretty much, it's safe to say they are 'back', people would forget in time.

I'm gonna begrudgingly go for a trophy & a relegation, but preferably the FA Cup not the League Cup.
Cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote