Music Banter - View Single Post - The English Football Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2013, 12:40 PM   #5010 (permalink)
Mojo
Melancholia Eternally

I guess I wouldn't say that I've ever thought of it as much of a tough one. I understand why people would, of course, I understand why the league is more important. Why playing in the Premier League is the most important thing. In that sense then, it's easy to prioritise the league over any other competition. However, where that becomes slightly different is once you're in touching distance.

We're bottom and we're in the final four. I know that odds are stacked against us, I know we'll be given the longest odds, and I know that it's highly improbable that we'll win it. However we are one win away from a Wembley final so naturally, we're in a with a shot. We have a crucial league season to contend with as well, regardless of how we progress from here in the league cup.

It's only a hypothetical, obviously, to ask someone which they would prefer as if it was a choice of one or the other, but naturally its a question that people have started to ask. For example I witnessed a bit of banter between a Geordie and a Mackem. The Mackem was asking the Geordie who they drew in the cup, to which the Geordie asked if they meant the Europa League next season etc etc. Anyway, the Geordie inevitably told them that it didn't matter because they were getting relegated anyway, and then asked the Mackem "But surely you'd take a league cup win with a relegation, if you were given the choice of that or finishing 17th and trophy-less?" and the Mackem said they would rather finish 17th and trophy-less.

This both shocked me and didn't. As I said, I understand the prioritisation of the league, and the revenue that comes with competing in this league. I don't necessarily find it odd to hear someone say that when we are in the opening rounds of cup competitions and nobody expects us to get anywhere near a final anyway. However, this close to one, it frankly amazes me that some people rubbish any silverware that isn't the Premiership or Champions League.

We last won a trophy in 1973. Everyone remembers it. Those who weren't alive then (like myself) have watched it, read about it, are aware of it. I wonder how many Mackems could also tell you where we finished in the league in 1973.

We will continue to battle to avoid the drop. If the prospect of three more games and the possibility of winning a major trophy in a Wembley final is gonna be the deciding factor in whether we are able to fight hard enough to achieve it, then we don't deserve to stay up anyway, and most importantly - we can always win promotion back to the Premier League. God knows how long it will be before we're this close to a Wembley final again...and yet some fans, who have never seen us win any silverware before, would rather sack it off and have us finish 17th again?

Last.FM | Echoes and Dust
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote