Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart's all-time favourite albums ever (ever!)
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2013, 03:44 PM   #36 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Famous last words --- Supertramp --- 1982

Not the last Supertamp album but still appropriately named, as it marked the end of a decade-long partnership between Roger Hodgson and Rick Davies, founder members of Supertramp, with the departure of the former to pursue his own solo career. The album has many boppy tracks, and follows in many ways the formula laid down in albums like "Breakfast in America", "Crisis? What crisis?" and "Even in the quietest moments", a trilogy of albums that saw the London boys secure a string of hit singles, though "Breakfast" was their big commercial breakthrough. However behind the uptempo surface happiness of the songs here you can see and hear sadness, longing and regret, and perhaps a few little recriminations from the man who was staying.

One of Supertramp's most consistent albums, it's a tragedy in a way that just as they were hitting their stride they lost Hodgson, their leading light and most recognisable voice, very much the heart of the band. Their followup in 1985 was dull and boring in comparison, and really they've struggled to regain the sense of fun and the carefree attitude Hodgson brought to the band. Songs like "It's raining again", "My kind of woman" and the reflective "C'est le bon" sit alongside harder, more bitter fare such as "Waiting so long" and the utterly heartbreaking "Don't leave me now" to create one of Supertramp's finest albums, and a fitting tribute to the man who had given over ten years of his life to the band.

I of course read probably far more into the lyrics than is there, particularly the last two tracks, but really in ways Rick Davies says it all in "Put on your old brown shoes" when he sings "You know you paid your dues, did all you could: time to move on, no more to say."

A parting of old friends or a bitter accusation of betrayal? Whichever, it's one hell of an album and I love everything on it.

TRACKLISTING

1. Crazy
2. Put on your old brown shoes
3. It's raining again
4. Bonnie
5. Know who you are
6. My kind of lady
7. C'est le bon
8. Waiting so long
9. Don't leave me now