Music Banter - View Single Post - Best Prog album of all time?
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2014, 04:27 PM   #28 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screen13 View Post
I would say that Styx Part One would be an attempt at Prog, like the Alan Parsons Project's first album - sometimes a band sees the point and actually decided to do what came more natural. Once you have a hit like "Lady" among a collection of songs that got ignored outside of a small group of fans, it certainly was a time to re-assess what will happen in the band. Fate happens, and for them it was certainly for the very best that they went to a more AOR style that still had slight bits of their past that they would never get rid of no matter how they changed - the concepts, Synth use, epic songs that had a little more than just Guitar/Drums/Bass/Backstage Sex Lyrics. No matter how I tend to throw criticism every now and then here at MB, all I say is that in the end it matters the most if they had an effect on their main listeners and they have a set of hit songs that will attract a lot of people for a long time...and I do have a guilty pleasure in "Renegade" truth be told - that song stomped very well and the harmonies were on target while the song matched the usual dramatics in the best use of the word in my opinion.
Well given the fact that I think a couple of their albums are some of the best ever recorded, I'd agree with the above analysis, but what also made the band great was that they had three quite distinctly sounding vocalists, who were all good songwriters and were able to provide a diversity that the casual listener or critic of the band might not be aware of.

As said the Tommy Shaw debut is a great album and also I enjoyed his third solo album as well.

You're right Rex Bundy does have a vocal delivery like Greg Lake.
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote