Music Banter - View Single Post - The Poseur Cave
Thread: The Poseur Cave
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2014, 01:15 PM   #29 (permalink)
Isbjørn
cooler commie than elph

Did someone say “inconsistent journal content”? No? Okay, then. What I mean is that my journal has been a bit inconsistent up until now (probably will be); first I looked at metal classics, then at indie/alternative and gothic rock, then I went back to metal and now I'm back to indie. Or should we just call it alternative? I think the word “indie” is lean descriptor when it comes to the musical content, and that's what's important, well, most of the time. But let's stick to the word “indie”, because that is, in one variation or other, maybe the only term I've seen people use to describe Elliott Smith, whose eponymous album I shall present to thee...

In order to not be too pretentious, I need to admit that this is the only album of his I have heard in its entirety so far, and that I have only heard bits of the other ones.

Title: Elliott Smith
Year: 1995
Genre: “Lo-fi indie folk”

Tracklist:

1. "Needle in the Hay"
2. "Christian Brothers"
3. "Clementine"
4. "Southern Belle"
5. "Single File"
6. "Coming Up Roses"
7. "Satellite"
8. "Alphabet Town"
9. "St. Ides Heaven"
10. "Good to Go"
11. "The White Lady Loves You More"
12. "The Biggest Lie"

The album opener, “Needle in the Hay”, is one of the better tracks on the album, and as far as I can tell from the Spotify top 10 and rateyourmusic.com, it's one of his most popular songs overall (apparently Pitchfork loves it, too). Track three, “Clementine”, is a bit different, the guitar is more melodic than on the previous ones, which both feature a “down-down pattern” as far as I can tell. It's one of my favourites, along with “Needle in the Hay” (and a couple of songs from the other albums, like “Angeles and “Say Yes”). Though all the tracks on the album sound quite similar because of the instrumentation, there are some small differences. “Southern Belle”, for instance, sounds more aggressive, especially at the ending, than the rest of the album, and the intro on “Satellite” is a bit classical-sounding, at least to me who haven't heard a lot of classical music (especially not guitar works). The album has a very bittersweet mood, I think that's what the cover art is suggesting, since it is, depressingly, featuring two persons jumping off of a building as if commiting suicide.

My opinion? This album was pretty good, and I totally think you should hear it if you haven't already (all the indie nerds have, I bet).

Isbjørn is offline   Reply With Quote