Music Banter - View Single Post - Who deserves the title "The King of Rock and Roll"?
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2014, 01:45 PM   #348 (permalink)
Forward To Death
Trolier Than Thou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjinn View Post
It has nothing to do with inventing anything. Elvis brought Rock N' Roll into prominence and that's that.
Pretty much. Like I said, there was no invention, he certainly didn't, since he wasn't even a songwriter and wasn't exactly a great musician. He's the king because he's the most important figure. There's absolutely no way you can make the argument that Elvis wasn't the most prominent force in music at the time, and rock specifically. His sales records and chart performance speak for themselves.

As for the actual foundation of rock, I definitely think there were artists making music that is similar before Elvis, I've said that several times when discussing the issue, but they were both black AND white, and there are a lot of examples of each. I don't think you can really prove the argument that it was pioneered more by one ethnicity than another, but you certainly can prove that the foundation was there in both cultures before 1954.
Forward To Death is offline   Reply With Quote