Music Banter - View Single Post - The Golden Age of Reggae
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2014, 03:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
Gavin B.
Model Worker

Winston Rodney- aka Burning Spear, the Elder Statesman

Burning Spear is one of the last surviving first generation reggae stars.

Carrying the torch for the gospel of Marcus Garvey, Burning Spear is the single greatest proponent of self-determination and self-reliance for all African descendants, but his message is not exclusively based on the teachings of Garvey. Through his music, Burning Spear has consistently been able to educate, inform, and uplift people the world over with his positive message based on honesty, peace, and love.

Spear is now 66 years old, still making albums and touring. He only does only thing: roots reggae music... But it does it better than anyone.

Down the Riverside - Burning Spear This 1977 song by Spear is still my one of my favorites. Burning Spear's sound is called "churchical" in Jamaica, because because a lot of it comes from gospel music.

Days of Slavery - Burning Spear I never went to a Spear concert where he left the stage without singing this classic song from his 1975 Marcus Garvey album. It has a hynotic groove. The video is from a live concert at the Sonoma County Fairgrounds in 2012.

Marcus Garvey - Burning Spear- The video is a studio re-recording of a song from his classic Marcus Garvey album. I chose these newer sessions because I'm sure most reggae fans have heard the originals and these sessions show that Spear is capable at age 66 of pouring the same amount of passion into the songs he wrote while he was still in his twenties.

Last edited by Gavin B.; 01-26-2014 at 09:49 PM.
Gavin B. is offline   Reply With Quote