Music Banter - View Single Post - Should the Superbowl Halftime show be reserved for older acts?
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2014, 03:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
Soulflower
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Spirit View Post
Ever since Bruno Mars was announced as the performer at next week's Superbowl Halftime show, something just hasn't felt right about it.

I mean, the guy has talent and I'm not denying that. I even like a few of his tracks. However, he just hasn't been around that long. Madonna, Beyonce, and even the Black Eyed Peas had been in the industry for at least a decade before playing on America's biggest stage.

There's many other artists that have been successful over the past few decades and haven't been given the chance to play Halftime. Metallica is one that comes to mind.

I have nothing against Bruno as a musician, but the Halftime has always been played by older, legacy artists, not newcomers like Bruno.

Overall, the NFL made a big mistake by hiring him to perform. It seems the tradition of seeing accomplished acts playing the stage is over, and we'll start seeing new, current artists performing every year. Ugh...

What are your thoughts?

But Beyonce and Black Eyed Peas were not around that long either. I personally thought they were to early in their careers to headline it and more deserving acts should have had the opportunity.

They might have been around longer than Bruno but most of the PAST veteran acts who have headlined Halftime had careers of 25+

At the TIME of when they had did their halftimes

ex. Prince had been in the industry for over 25+ 2004
ex. Madonna had been in the industry for 30 years 2012
ex. MJ had been in the industry for over 20+ 1993

PERSONALLY, I personally think Icons and legends should headline it because it is such a huge venue and they need artists who have iconic songs that people will easily recognize. It also gives them an opportunity to shine and to get some easy marketing for new projects or new potential fans. The older acts need that more than the new ones in my opinion.

Nobody remembers the Black Eyed Peas or Beyonce's boring performances or what they sung because their not icons and they dont have iconic music.

I think the Super Bowl is changing the acts they pick and I think they are gearing it more towards the youth versus the old like they did in the past.

Ive seen Bruno live and he is a good entertainer. He has that old school flare, plays instruments, has a killer band and nice dance moves. He has quality songs too and he can sing live. It will be much better than last years thats for sure
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote